Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Being an Alum.

The President of Akron read Dr. Seuss' 'Oh The Places You'll Go" in his address at graduation - which is beyond perfect because that's my favorite little book. I got two copies of the book when I graduated high school from a friend and a teacher. It's so wonderful.

The opening is just that:
"Congratulations! Today is your day! You're off to Great Places! You're off and away!"

"Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest."

"And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) Kid you'll move mountains!"

At times, I looked back at what my college career was turning into and I used to get super sad...kinda mad...and then needed to get another grip because it was what it was...and I created it. I switched majors, switched schools, switched my thinking process. But I guess - who doesn't?

In the end, there is no need to head down that dead end road anymore. Akron was the best school for me, I worked my tail off and I graduated Summa Cum Laude in a major that I feel in love with. I met some amazing people and got into classes that were taught by people who blew my mind every lecture. Akron holds some pretty phenomenal professors - some who've changed my life. What is better then any of that?

Being at Akron taught me that overloading myself every single semester to the point of breaking down and burning out all the time is a big no, no in life. When you're tired or have way too much on your plate - you need to listen to yourself and take a step back to refocus and recharge - not keep wearing yourself so thin everyday. At times, that only got me further behind. 

At Akron, I also learned to just enjoy the here and now.
To enjoy myself. These days are the ones I'll be calling the "good old days" that I'll miss in some days ahead. 

Akron taught me to devote myself to what I want - my ideas - and to go get it and make it happen.
I learned that it's OK to not always get a 100% on something, to not always say the right answer, to not always be..."perfect".
It's apart of life to struggle and have fears and I learned to not be afraid to struggle on my goals and dreams - and to overcome my fears.

I learned that when you let go of all the tension and pressure you place on yourself and certain situations - and just smile - things will happen even better then you planned so hard for. 

Believing in myself, however, was the greatest thing that I really gained at Akron. 
And now, I am a proud Alum.
Love always,
Mo
XOXO